A North Staffordshire business director who had brain surgery earlier this year has found himself working underground in the Scottish Highlands after winning a major new contract.
Wayne Pearce owns and run Eaglet Business Systems (EBS) with his wife Jo. Eaglet specialises in ISO Consultancy Management and Assessment.
During the height of the pandemic last year Wayne was taken ill and diagnosed with a Colloid Cyst in the middle of his brain. There’s only around one in 750,000 chance of getting one. For Wayne it was his second cyst, after he also had surgery to remove one when he was 22. His consultant has said that that’s unheard of.
Despite Wayne’s illness the company has gone from strength-to-strength post lockdown with a number of client wins under their belts.
One of the latest is to provide Quality and Environmental Management support to Scottish company Lochaline Quartz Sand in the Highlands. The company operates the only underground sand-mine in Europe and extracts quartz/silica sand for use in products including glass-wear.
Wayne who has more 24 years’ experience in the International Business Standards Industry said: “It’s been great to get back on the road again after my operation – although I’m still waiting for my driving license to come back from the DVLA so it was a bit of a feat getting to the Scottish Highlands.
“This contract though is really interesting and we’re really looking forward to helping them gain their ISO certifications. I can honestly say it’s the first time I’ve even been down a quartz sand-mine before!
He explained: “ISO management systems can really help businesses. Essentially if you’re going through a procurement process to win new contracts, one of the first things businesses look for is whether companies have quality management systems in place. If they haven’t they can be ruled out from the start so it can be really important. Equally you can imagine the environmental implications of operating a mine in the Scottish Highlands.
The 51-year-old said: “From a personal perspective I’m very grateful that the operation was a great success and I’m now well on the road to recovery. I am a very positive person though and try and make the best out of situations. Of course, it wasn’t easy at the time because I should have had the operation in November last year and it got postponed until April. It meant we all had to self-isolate throughout that period which was tough on our family. I am very lucky though – my wife Jo and daughter have been amazingly supportive throughout. The business has continued to go well, we’ve won more contracts and it’s great to be able to see people and visit clients again face to face.”
To find out more please go to www.ebs4iso.co.uk
Notes to Editors
- Eaglet was launched in 1997 as a sole trading company and became a limited company in 2004
- As the company increased its volume of international enquiries it rebranded as Eaglet Business Systems in 2011 and is known for short as EBS
- EBS is a market leader in the delivery in ISO Consultancy Management and Assessment
- Since the company was founded it has helped companies to gain or maintain ISO accreditation more than 1355 times
- Eaglet Business Systems (EBS), also run an on-line education training school to help companies achieve ISO certification. This service called E-glet gives businesses the chance to work towards ISO9001 accreditation.
- EBS can be contacted on 0330 1741277 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org