Over the last few weeks we’ve welcomed Year 12 JCB Academy student James Lovatt to Legs PR. James is studying a BTEC in Business Studies – parts of which focus on Marketing. James wanted to find out about the world of Marketing and PR, so we thought we’d show him.
And here is what James’ work experience has been like – in his own words. Over to you James …
Coming into the office was inherently nerve wracking to start with, mainly because it was a completely new environment to me. However, I’d done my research and understood a bit about the business and the market they operate in. When I first came in, I didn’t know what to expect in terms of what I would do and what my duties would be, however I quickly got to work and settled in.
I was tasked with writing a blog on Marketing and PR and how it adds value to a product, something that is familiar to me because I’ve studied it as part of my course.
I also did quite a lot of research for some marketing campaigns that Legs PR is due to start which I found really interesting.
I was given a plan of what I was going to be doing over the two weeks I was with Legs PR. It was really good as there was real variety in what I was doing, from client meetings to writing and research.
What I was worried about:
- Being in a new setting in general is something that worries me and being in an office space is completely new so I wouldn’t know what to expect when coming in.
- Even though I looked into the business beforehand, I was still sceptical of what I would actually do day to day.
- Attending business meetings was completely new to me which sparked some worries, however it allowed me to look forward to these experiences as well.
What I was looking forward to:
- The new experience as a whole was the main thing that I was looking forward to, as I have had no prior experience working in a business setting.
- Working with Tamsin was also something I’ve been looking forward to as her work has interested me in the past. Having this opportunity to work with her directly and learn new things was perfect.
Looking back on my experience
It’s been an extremely interesting experience and definitely exceeded my expectations. On one of the days I attended a business networking meeting, which had many different businesses coming together to talk about what they do. It was extremely informative in terms of how to network effectively. It also gave me an opportunity to talk to new people and learn more about other businesses.
I really have learned lots and look forward to going back in the future to further expand my experience and learn even more.
- I’ve set up and edited my LinkedIn account, which will allow me to add things in the future and be able to have a presence on there.
- I have completed blogs, including this one, which I have enjoyed writing.
- I have spoken in front of many people, which was something that I always feared, so doing this has really boosted my self-confidence. I’ve done lots of research which has helped me broaden my range of knowledge and experience.
It’s made me realise that I would like to pursue a career in marketing and PR.
We’re really glad to hear that James, we’ve really enjoyed having you with us and we look forward to seeing your career flourish and helping where we can.